St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica was built in the early 20th century under the direction of Mar Louis Pazheparambil. Originally found in 1112 AD, this cathedral is dedicated to "Our Lady of Ports". This cathedral was elevated to the status of a Basilica by Pope Paul VI on 20 March 1974. Serving as the headquarters of the Major Archdiocese of Ernakulam-Angamaly, this church is the prominent Marian Pilgrim Centre in India.
The large, tall and spacious Cathedral has an altar that was used by John Paul II, when he visited India during 7 February 1986. The altar depicts the Birth, the Crucifixion and the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. The two 68 feet tall towers in the front have statues of St Peter and St Paul on top and the bell tower (88 feet high) has St. Thomas statue on top. There is also a beautiful depiction of Jesus Apparition to St Thomas.